The Head Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach is responsible for all aspects of coaching the SC tennis program. Recruiting student athletes, coordinating practices and activity travel, and in promoting events and activities. Reporting to the Athletic Director, the Head Tennis Coach will serve as a leader of a program that competes in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference as part of the NAIA. The Head Coach will be responsible for organizing, directing and administering a competitive tennis program in the KCAC and NAIA. This is a 12-month, exempt position.
Duties and Responsibilities
The general responsibilities of the Head Coach include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing all aspects of the tennis program and all athletes associated with the program, including academic success;
- Design and implementation of effective practice and match plans;
- Direct and independent coaching and skills development of student-athletes during practice and matches;
- Assessment and recruitment of prospective student-athletes
- Supervising off season programs, scouting reports and player development
- Supervising budget management, equipment oversight, travel planning, and summer camps programming
- Participation in public relations, marketing and fundraising for the tennis program and the athletic department
- Ensures all appropriate safety guidelines and standards are maintained during training, practice, and matches
- Compliance with NAIA, Kansas Collegiate Athletic Association and Southwestern College rules and regulations
The head coach is expected to be a person of integrity with high ethical standards and will require the same of staff members and student-athletes. Employees are expected to accomplish assigned duties in an efficient, effective and competent manner and to strive for improvement and excellence in all work performed. Commitment to and responsibility for adhering to all policies, rules and regulations of Southwestern College, KCAC and the NAIA is a priority.
Qualifications and Special Skills
- Previous competitive tennis coaching and recruiting experience is required. Preferred qualifications include head coaching.
- Experience managing a coaching staff and team members effectively
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to be insured to drive college vehicles required
- Knowledge of and ability to follow college policies and procedures
- Knowledge of intercollegiate tennis
- Skill preparing, monitoring and maintaining budgets
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and to relate to others in a professional manner
- Ability to relate to a diverse population
- Ability to maintain composure when faced with difficult situations and to effectively identify and resolve problems and to maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive information
- Ability to analyze problems, identify solutions, and take appropriate action to resolve problems using independent judgment and decision-making processes
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other department staff, faculty, students and the public
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and the complete contact information for three (3) professional references to [email protected]. Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until a candidate has been selected. The successful candidate will be subject to a criminal background check. Southwestern College is an EEO/AA employer.