Serves as Head Coach, Women’s Tennis. Assumes additional administrative duties as assigned by the Associate VP for Athletics and Athletics Advancement or his/her designee.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Administers Women’s Tennis and coordinates all related activities, which includes recruiting, scheduling, practice sessions, and equipment purchases in conjunction with the overall strategic plan for Athletics.
- Planning and coaching practice sessions and games; teaches advanced-level skills and game strategies.
- Identifies and recruits qualified student-athletes.
- Counsels students on general and sport-related matters. Refers students to appropriate sources, when necessary.
- Monitors academic progress of student athletes; collaborates with student success advisors; serves as a mentor to athletes helping to resolve academic and non-academic issues; makes him/herself available to coaches and players before, during, and after practices, games, and events. Establishes relationship with faculty and develops ongoing system of communication.
- Develops and maintains liaison relationship with Health Services, Residential Education, Student Activities and Leadership Programs, and other appropriate departments in order to facilitate program development and management for student athletes.
- Represents the College and Women’s Tennis at on and off campus events, including recruiting events, showcases, and alumni functions.
- Establishes and maintains relationship with regional and national athletic associations related to Women’s Tennis.
- Works to foster a positive relationship with alumni and parents to maintain connection with the College.
- Responsible for a portion of a budget ($1 – $250,000) and/or for monitoring and assisting with budget preparation and record keeping (not vouching).
- Serves on standing and ad hoc committees directly or indirectly related to Athletics.
- Assumes additional secondary responsibilities in the department as required by the Senior Director of Athletics and Athletic Advancement.
YOUR TEAM WILL INCLUDE
Assistant Coach (1-3)
WHAT EDUCATION AND SKILLS YOU WILL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree in associated field.
- At least 4-6 years of coaching experience.
- Compliance with all NCAA, NEWMAC and Babson College rules.
- Current safety certifications (CPR/First Aid/AED) and Concussion recognition training required or must be obtained within the first three months of employment.
- Blood Bourne Pathogen training in compliance with OSHA regulations; must be maintained yearly throughout time in the position.
- Must have strong communication skills with the ability to communicate via phone.
- Must have strong computer skills including proficiency in Google Drive/Docs and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook/Calendar).
- Creates an environment where direct reports have the freedom and security to take initiative; deals with complexities with resilience, resourcefulness, and optimism; and appreciates open mindedness, creativity, and agility in thought and tactics.
- Embraces ideas and changes created by all community members.
- Works independently to solve problems; looks for opportunities to take on responsibility; takes thoughtful risks; and effectively acts on new and ongoing initiatives, objectives, and solutions to gain sought-after results.
- Anticipates and effectively handles change; demonstrates willingness to try new skills and challenging tasks; and is flexible in changing conditions.
HOW AND WHERE YOU WILL WORK
- Regular physical exertion, walking and exposure to weather are required; ability to travel; light lifting required (50 pounds and under); and ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work days, evenings, and weekends, and to travel in person and stay overnight (for one or more nights) for all regular and post-season games, conferences, and tournaments.
- Must have had a valid unrestricted U.S. Driver’s License for one year, and maintain throughout employment an insurable (as determined by the College’s insurer’s criteria) or a satisfactory driving record; must successfully complete and pass the College’s vehicle training program within the first 60 days of employment; annual or more frequent review of employee’s driving record based on the College insurer’s criteria; and safety training as required by management.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS YOU MAY HAVE
- Previous college playing and coaching experience preferred.
- Experience with Experience with software/online programs related to game film
- (i.e., Synergy) preferred.