Aug 17, 2023
The Hobart and William Smith Assistant Tennis Coach is responsible for assisting with the organization and management of the intercollegiate men’s and women’s tennis teams. This position will work with both teams. The position responsibilities will include teaching and coaching student-athletes for successful competition; supporting student-athletes’ academic success; recruiting prospective students; fundraising; developing alumnae/alumni and parent relations; team travel planning; administrative tasks; and other duties as assigned. Hobart and William Smith coaches are expected to utilize an ethical approach to training, competing, mentoring, and recruiting.
Teaching and Coaching:
- Teach student-athletes all related principles and rules of the sport.
- Assist in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of practice and matches.
- Operate digital platforms to develop training, practice, and match strategy.
- Maintain an exemplary standard of conduct, which reflects the highest level of professionalism and good judgment.
- Knowledgeable of and comply with all institutional, department, NCAA, Liberty League conference rules and regulations.
Counseling and Advisement of Student-Athletes:
- Develop and maintain effective communication with student-athletes.
- Reinforce academic success as a priority.
- Encourage student-athletes to foster a positive relationship with faculty, deans, and staff.
- Effectively recruit prospective student-athletes under the direction of the head coach and consistent with the Colleges’ mission
- Maintain the sport-specific recruiting electronic database.
- Recruit student-athletes who coincide with the academic profile of HWS students.
- Maintain open communication with other Hobart and William Smith coaches regarding shared prospects.
- Maintain active membership in professional sport organizations.
- Pursue formal and informal educational opportunities.
- Participate in department seminars.
- Promote the sport and Hobart and William Smith Athletics in area communities.
- Maintain a positive relationship with interested constituents (e.g., youth groups, civic organizations, media)
- Assist in the planning and management of fundraising activities.
- Develop a positive relationship with Hobart and William Smith alums and parents.
Operational Team Responsibilities (approximately 30% of full-time responsibilities):
- Serve on Athletics Department operational teams (e.g., game day manager)
- Assist with special events (e.g., Awards Banquet, Heron Hall of Honor, Hall of Fame)
- Assist with department initiatives.
- Demonstrate knowledge for the Colleges’ educational philosophy and mission.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to unique social, cultural, and economic circumstances.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This is a full-time, 10-month, benefits-eligible position. This position description is not all-inclusive as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of four years of collegiate tennis and/or coaching experience required.
- Must demonstrate strong potential to teach, lead and counsel college student-athletes and have enthusiasm for the recruiting duties of the position.
- Must be a person of integrity, high ethical standards, have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to the NCAA Division III philosophy and mission of HWS Athletics.
- Competence with technology resources and a current U.S. driver’s license are vital to fulfilling the responsibilities of this position.
- CPR and First Aid certification required.
- The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and the names with contact information of at least three (3) professional references to our application service, Interfolio (utilizing the Apply link on the right). Background check required.
If you have a question or need help on uploading your application materials, please contact Interfolio’s support team at [email protected] or call 1-877-997-8807 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 6 p.m., EST, Monday through Friday.
This institution is using Interfolio’s Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Hobart and William Smith Colleges are committed to providing a non-discriminatory and harassment-free educational, living and working environment for all members of the HWS community, including students, faculty, staff, volunteers, and visitors. HWS prohibits discrimination and harassment in their programs and activities on the basis of age, color, disability, domestic violence victim status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected under the law. Discrimination on the basis of sex includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual assault, and other forms of sexual misconduct including stalking and intimate partner violence, and gender-based harassment that does not involve conduct of a sexual nature.