LAKE NONA, FL – It was a familiar scene for the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps women’s tennis team as they ran the table once again to claim their second-straight NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis National Championship.
Capping off another impressive season in which they finished 27-1, the Athenas showed that they had what it took to take down UChicago in the National Championship match after falling to the Maroons in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship.
Beginning with doubles, CMS jumped out to an early advantage, winning on courts one and three to provide them with a 2-1 lead heading into singles play. The Athenas now just needed wins from three of the six singles positions to remain at the top of Division III Women’s Tennis.
It was no easy task for CMS in singles play as UChicago took two points quickly from courts two and three before the Athenas responded with two straight-set wins of their own on courts four and six to draw the score to 4-3 in favor of CMS.
With the remaining matches coming down to a decisive third set, CMS was able to secure the clinch from court five as Nikolina Batoshvili (CMS) defeated No. 15 Miranda Yuan (Chicago) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 to take home yet another championship for the Athena program.
This National Championship marks two straight for CMS and the program’s third overall championship as they have reached the finals each of the past four championships.
For complete match results continue reading below:
- Batoshvili/Chulani (CMS) def. #2 Guo/Mikos (UC) 8-5
- #3 Ng/Wang (UC) def. Selby/Wurster (CMS) 8-5
- Brissett/Eisenman (CMS) def. Geller/Khou (UCW) 8-5
- #1 Sylwia Mikos (UC) vs. #37 Alisha Chulani (CMS) 6-4, 0-6, 2-4, unfinished
- #33 Shianna Guo (UC) def. Audrey Yoon (CMS) 6-3, 6-2
- #21 Nicole Geller (UC) def. #41 Ella Brissett (CMS) 6-4, 6-1
- #20 Sena Selby (CMS) def. Brooke Pedersen (UC) 6-0, 6-3
- Nikolina Batoshvili (CMS) def. #15 Miranda Yuan (UC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
- #24 Lindsay Eisenman (CMS) def. Claudia Ng (UC) 6-3, 6-4