LAKE NONA, FL – For the sixth consecutive season, the Barry University Buccaneers are the NCAA Division II Women’s National Champions.
Coming in as the top seed in the tournament, Barry capped off another unbeaten season in 2023, finishing 28-0 to increase their overall win streak to 90 consecutive matches dating back to the 2019 season.
Facing off with conference foe Nova Southeastern in the Finals, Barry was once again able to overcome some adversity to remain at the top of Division II Women’s Tennis for the sixth straight season.
Beginning with doubles, the Bucs and Sharks traded wins on courts one and two, leaving the lone doubles point up to the result from the No. 3 position. Going to a match tiebreak, Nova Southeastern was able to pull away in the tiebreak to take the doubles point and the 1-0 lead over their in-state rival.
Moving to singles, Barry quickly showed why they have been so dominant over the past several years. On courts one, two, and six, Barry won matches in straight-sets to quickly jump back ahead of the Sharks as they needed just one more victory to secure the win.
The clinch for the Buccaneers came from court five as Selina Pichler downed Diane Follin-Arbelet 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 to claim the National Championship and Barry’s 90th consecutive dual-match win.
This National Championship marks the eighth in program history for Barry which ties them with Armstrong Atlantic for the most in Division II Women’s history.
For complete match results continue reading below:
- #1 Natalie Espinal/Fatima Bizhukova (NSU) def. Dinara Alloiarova/Angela Leweurs (BARRY) 6-1
- Nathalia Gasparin/Deniz Khazan (BARRY) def. Eva Goncharov/Diane Follin-Arbelet (NSU) 6-2
- Julie Razafindranaly/Karolina Snita (NSU) def. Daniela Farfan/Xiyao Wang (BARRY) 7-6
- #1 Deniz Khazan (BARRY) def. #10 Julie Razafindranaly (NSU) 6-2, 6-1
- #19 Dinara Alloiarova (BARRY) def. #14 Natalie Espinal (NSU) 6-4, 7-6
- #16 Daniela Farfan (BARRY) vs. #26 Karolina Snita (NSU) 6-3, 2-6, 3-2, unfinished
- #39 Xiyao Wang (BARRY) vs. Fatima Bizhukova (NSU) 6-4, 6-7, 0-1, unfinished
- Selina Pichler (BARRY) def. Diane Follin-Arbelet (NSU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
- #63 Clara Versier (BARRY) def. Eva Goncharov (NSU) 6-2, 6-2