Cristina Moros is the Head Women’s Tennis Coach at the University of South Florida. She was a four-time All-American at the University of Texas before moving into the world of high-performance junior development. Cristina came to college tennis relatively late in her coaching career but has wasted no time in becoming one of our most respected coaches at the NCAA – Division I level.
In this podcast we discuss why she chose to leave high-performance junior tennis for the college coaching world, what key lessons she learned playing for Jeff Moore, how she balances work and family as a single mother, and gather some of her perspectives on being a woman of color in the world of intercollegiate athletics – plus a lot more!
Key parts of this conversation have been minute-marked for your listening convenience:
- 01:23 – How did Jeff Moore influence you as a college tennis coach?
- 03:47 – Are you cultivating Jeff’s high-level competitiveness culture in your team?
- 05:53 – Why did you take a long break between your college playing career and becoming a college tennis coach?
- 07:56 – Do you regret the decision to not become a Top 50 player and continue a professional career?
- 08:46 – What pushed you over the edge to become a college tennis coach?
- 10:50 – How do you think you have evolved over the last few years as a coach?
- 12:58 – How do you connect with your student-athletes?
- 15:25 – Do you use social media to connect with your current student-athletes?
- 17:10 – Do you have any tips/insights for how you manage your time so well?
- 20:51 – Why do you believe it is important to serve college tennis and what advice do you have for coaches to get involved?
- 22:46 – Do you believe that being a woman of color has hurt you from a recruiting standpoint?
- 25:28 – How can we increase the level of diversity among college tennis?
- 29:30 – Is there a book that has had a major impact on you as a coach?
- 30:20 – Do you have a favorite drill?
- 32:08 – What is one thing you’ve changed your mind on in recent years in coaching or in life?
- 32:59 – What is your favorite quote?
- 33:41 – What is one lesson you hope your players have learned by the time they leave your program?
For Cristina’s book recommendation, “Sum It Up” by Pat Summit, click here!
On the College Tennis Coaches Podcast with Dave Mullins, he and his guests deliver the best tennis information through open discussions. Current coaching topics, trends, guests, and some fun along the way will make this your new favorite tennis podcast. The College Tennis Coaches Podcast hosts various tennis industry professionals for engaging and educational topics.